Friday, January 4, 2008

Doormats, Dinosaurs, and Commitment-Phobia

Let me begin by saying that I can't even take it anymore.

If any of you have had a conversation with me recently, you've probably heard me talk (ie-rant) about my crazy employment situations. And when I say crazy, I mean like effin' crazy (see blog title). And I just can't take it anymore. I've spent everyday this week dreaming about ways to phrase my two weeks notice, and let's just say that several of the fantasies are more non-verbal communication. But, now that I'm an "adult" I don't want to needlessly burn any bridges, so I will try to be polite and articulate and get the hell out as fast as is reasonably possible.

Allow me to shoulder a part of the blame in the situation. It's not like I've had an outstanding attitude. But, as the vicious circle rolls, this is probably due to the fact that I work for inarticulate, passive-aggressive, unreasonable Loonies. That right, Loonies. The latest of the Loonies' larks seems to be driving their employees away. I'm an easy sell though, I'll leave gladly, you wouldn't even have to ask me nicely. But, feeling nicely I suppose, I have stuck it out for almost three months. No longer, friends. The camel's back has broken, and I'm about to make like a tree. I always told my friend that if she decided to leave, I'd be out after her before the door closed behind her. Yep, I am about to be out like trout. And I imagine that it may feel like the freedom of the ocean to a fish that has spent his life in an aquarium. (I'm never melodramatic. And I never exaggerate. Ever. Or spout sarcasm.)

I wish I could paint the colorful picture of the lunacy that I have lived with here for you, but it would be impossible. I'm not even sure that you would be able to understand if you could have seen the looks on my face whenever shady business went down right in front of my desk. These people have vaguely alluded that myself and fellow receptionists are unprofessional. My response would be a) what specifically {to which they never responded} and b) that "That's whack, fool!". I would have to say that this is the most unprofessional place I have ever worked, and that is compared to a place where the full time employee wore sweats to work every single day. Honest truth, friends. I couldn't make this crap up if I wanted to. Say what you will about Sweat-Pants-Sue and Pervy Pete, but they never once yelled at a customer in front of other customers.

Ah, well, so back to the grind of the job search. If any of you have connections with non-profits, event planners, cupcakeries, or the Travel Channel, let me know, I have a resume that's itchin' to see the world.

1 comment:

nick pickrell said...

rachel! work at catholic charities!!! they are looking for a case worker!