Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Office Lighting

There are water-droplets on the side on my Styrofoam cup: a dozen perfect little spheres standing up like proud tiny prisms turning the fluorescent glare of my office lights into something a bit more beautiful.

As always, I’m thinking about things far beyond standard-afternoon-office-business, and therefore mostly irrelevant to what I’m doing right now. It’s estimated that 100,000 people died in a cyclone in Myanmar, a 6.8 earthquake rattled Tokyo today, and food shortages continue to spark riots around the globe. I can’t help wondering how much longer all of this can go on. I can’t help feeling that as a planet, we are nearing that “something’s got to give” point. Granted, I’ve seen far too many end-of-the-world epics, and my imagination does tend to be a bit overactive in general; but the fact of the matter is that if we believe the Bible, then the end of the world is coming. I’m not going to go all eschatogious on you, but I’ve been thinking. I love my job. I actually like going to work. But, what exactly am I doing to bring the Kingdom of God. I mean, I know that I’m in the right place for right now. It’s just kind of hard to see the eternal significance of expense reports, budgets, and event planning. Bah! I’m just antsy.

Well, let’s just say that the Mother Theresa biography “Come Be My Light will mess your world up. In a good way.

No comments: