Tuesday, February 24, 2009

: on cooking crawfish

Well, Happy Mardi Gras everyone.


Mardi Gras means all kinds of things: bright colors, extravagant parades, wanton debauchery, and OF COURSE, delicious food.

In honor of my friend Dane's departure to Nashville, TN, I'm making a Creole-feast for dinner tonight. And what Creole-feast would be complete without, you guessed it: crawfish?.

Now, I've had crawfish several times. Mostly the tails, and it always arrives cooked. On my plate, and usually simmering in buttery goodness. And being the adventerous cook that I am, I didn't really worry too much about the prospect of cooking them myself. So I called up Whole Foods, ordered a couple of pounds, and proceeded to search for recipes on the internet. Much to my horror, the directions kept saying things like "they must be alive when you boil them" and "discard the dead ones." Oh, Lord, forgive me. For I am about to murder.

I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Ugh. Sick. I don't know if I really want to be around to see this or if I hope to be miles away from this death boil. Good luck.

cari said...

Oh Rachel.

Becky said...

oh. my. word.

hilarious.